Suppose you are on a spaceship heading for places unknown with no set time of arrival. The ship has systems in place to clean your air, provide water, process waste and give you the ability to create food and other necessities to help you and your shipmates survive in relative comfort. But those systems are sensitive and require a light touch so as to not permanently disrupt the ship's environment and vital functions. Your survival depends on the ship working the ways it's supposed to.

This is not a hypothetical.

Monday, October 31, 2011

A Post on Compost

So it's time for a quick update on my foray into composting.  As I have previously mentioned, I was coming to discover that collecting compost materials and delivering it to another location, that can actually make use of the compost, may be a more sustainable and efficient use of my resources and time than actually re-inventing the wheel and creating my own composting system.  I'm still collecting composting materials and am still in the process of educating my roommate, and myself, about what can and cannot be composted but ultimately I plan on not doing the actual composting process and will instead be opting for taking full bins of "compost materials" to a local public place that already has an established compost system.  I've yet to fill up the bins that I have chosen to use for this process, so I haven't yet determined where the best place to compost the materials are but I'm leaning towards one of the public gardens that are around Bloomington and have been given some suggestions by those more in the know than myself.
A picture of the Butler Organic Community Garden, a possible recipient for my compost materials.
Although this project has taken a 90 degree turn from the direction I had originally envisioned, I'm pretty happy with what I've ended up with and feel like I'm still getting the opportunity to learn about composting and its benefits, even if I'm not actually the one gaining those benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment