Suppose you are on a spaceship heading for places unknown with no set time of arrival. The ship has systems in place to clean your air, provide water, process waste and give you the ability to create food and other necessities to help you and your shipmates survive in relative comfort. But those systems are sensitive and require a light touch so as to not permanently disrupt the ship's environment and vital functions. Your survival depends on the ship working the ways it's supposed to.

This is not a hypothetical.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Worm Food

As part of my Sustainable Communities class this semester, I've been tasked with coming up with a personal sustainability project.  My plan for this is to explore the options available to me for setting up a composting/vermi-composting system.  From the research that I've done thusfar, I'm leaning towards doing the vermi-composting as that will give me a continuing compost throughout the year that will be independent of weather constraints.  There are others in my class who currently already have this kind of system so I am hoping to gain the crucial element (worms) from one of them versus having to try to find my own via some form of sketchy back alley worm salesman.

I face a few barriers in being able to do this successfully:
1.)  Convincing my roommate to participate in or at least tolerate my doing this.
2.)  I don't want to build a quick and easy system only to want to replace it with something nicer and better in 6 months.  So I need to research and determine the best, most durable, and most effective system to use the first time around.
3.)  I must resign myself to being responsible (even if it's just to a tiny degree) for keeping something else alive and fed.  (Hopefully this one won't be too hard.)

1 comment:

  1. They are easy! Definitely no work at all except dumping your fruits and veggies in to feed them. Actually, the more you leave them alone the better they are.

    Homemade bins work great. I have had my worms for 1.5 years now and they're awesome.

    I am bringing Ryan some worms next week. Just let me know and shoot me an email and I can bring your some worms anytime!

    Good luck and I'm here to help!

    ReplyDelete